[802.3_DMLT] Minutes for IET baseline ad-hoc

All,

Belated minutes for the baseline ad-hoc meeting that was held last week.

Attendees: Hugh Barrass, Pat Thaler, Arvind Kansal, Brian Allen, David Chen, Albert Tretter, Denis Beaudoin, Amrik Baines, Peter Jones

Hugh reminded attendees of the patent policy and displayed the links to access the policy online.

The discussion continued to focus on the baseline presentation adopted by the Task Force:

http://www.ieee802.org/3/br/8023-IET-TF-1401_thaler-01-0114-iet-proposal-v2.pdf

This week we had a general Q&A session covering whatever topics were on our minds:

PAUSE frames (& other generated frames) - how should they be categorized. MAC control frames are generated in 802.3, so it's in our domain; frames generated outside 802.3 should be discussed in 802.1 TSN. There may be applications that require PFC alongside preemption, so we must decide. There are arguments for either treatment for this - preemptable or express. Maybe it should be configurable. Similarly, there needs to be some thought about EPON messages. Ethernet OAM should be simpler & could always be sent as preemptable.

There's still an intention to review a small change to the frame delimiters, we will attempt to get a complete proposal ready for next week. The next call is scheduled for 8.00am PDT on May 1st, this will be the last ad-hoc prior to the interim meeting.

Hugh.