[802.3_DMLT] IET for EPON

Dear colleagues,

Below please find a drawing of an EPON OLT (10G-EPON one, 1G-EPON one can be created easily by replacing references to individual clauses) with and without IET

And here is the drawing with IET functions in place

Note that

-          It is not clear to me whether this is the correct drawing, i.e., I would expect that when IET is supported, we’d not have any OAM and MPCP traffic on non-express paths, though it is not clear how to draw that more correctly. We could, for example, have eMAC/pMAC Clients combined with a single instance of OAM, and then have two MAC instances. However, this makes the drawing more complex to read and it is not clear whether that is the target functionality

-          We will need to (likely) update also MAC Control Multiplexer, which takes control signaling from individual MAC Clients and MAC Control Clients and then drives individual MACs

-          We will also need to go and touch Table 76–3—Preamble/SFD replacement mapping (and respective definitions for 1G-EPON in Clause 65) , since the express path, the preamble patterns will change right now with IET enabled, and we cannot be just looking for SFD and Idle patterns.

Regards

Marek Hajduczenia, PhD
Network Architect, Principal Engineer
Bright House Networks