Re: [802.3_DMLT] Comments on proposed managed objects for IET (was Re: [802.3_DMLT] [IEEE 802.3br IET] Agenda and presentations for San Diego)

Marek

As requested, here is the file with my changes and with questions in line.

Pat

From: Marek Hajduczenia [mailto:marek.hajduczenia@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, August 05, 2014 11:51 AM
To: STDS-802-3-DMLT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_DMLT] Comments on proposed managed objects for IET (was Re: [802.3_DMLT] [IEEE 802.3br IET] Agenda and presentations for San Diego)

Pat,

It is very hard for me to follow the suggested changes for “aMACMergeStatusRx” and “aMACMergeStatusTx” – I would very much appreciate writeup in the attached document and not just comments – these are very hard to follow.

As far as “oMACMergeFrameMfcsErrorCount” – if the carried MFCS does not match the calculated MFCS, that does not necessarily mean it is CRC – it can be just bit error in a fragment and assembling such a frame is pointless. Seems that if we just rely on matching MFCS to indicate whether it is a fragment or not, we can have a situation where we have an error in MFCS, merge layer assumes it is the end of the frame and then we push incomplete MAC frame to MAC. This would generate errors, decreasing link reliability.

I am not OK dropping ”oMACMergeFragCountOutOfOrderRx”. For debug purposes, it is better to have more data to see what kind of link problems we have, rather than just have one bin that says something went wrong.

I can make all changes needed to “oMACMergeFragCountRx and oMACMergeFragCountTx” – I just need to have more to work on. Please suggest specific text changes – that would make discussion simpler. Thanks

I think the description of “aMACMergeHoldCOunt” is clear – “A count of times MM_CTL.request(HOLD) primitive was asserted, interrupting transmission of a preemptable MAC frame”, i.e., we count only times it is asserted during a transmission of preemptable frame. Other assertions would not be counted.

Marek