From: Pat Thaler [mailto:000006d722d423ba-dmarc-request@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 2:04 PM
To: STDS-802-3-DMLT@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_DMLT] IEEE802.3br Standard Question

Confirming what Alon said. Early on, we discussed having an alignment requirement like 32 bit-alignment. I don't recall any time discussing an alignment as long as 64-bytes. The longest I recall considering was 4-byte or maybe 8-byte.

During development of the standard, we came to the conclusion that the additional delay in waiting to suspend was undesirable and that the burden on the receiving MAC wasn't worth requiring more than byte alignment. If a MAC has a wide internal path, then it could hold onto the non-path multiple bytes received at the end of a non-final fragment until the next fragment arrives and provides the bytes to get to a multiple. For example, if a MAC has an 8-byte wide data path and gets a first fragment of 513 bytes, it has received 64 * 8 + 1 bytes. It can hold onto the 1 byte and send it to the data path when the next fragment has provided 7 more bytes.

We didn't receive any ballot comments that objected to this.

Regards,

Pat