Re: [802.3_GEPOF] [802.3_DIALOG] Considerations on technical feasibility of 1GE POF and being future proof

Bob-

You spoke of 20 years ago.  The comparison to 30 years ago is even more striking.

30 years ago was 1984.
While the 802.3 (thick coax) standard had been approved in June of 1984,
the IEEE did not get around to actually getting it published until New Years 1985.

At that point 10BASE-T and even FOIRL were still projects in the future.
The work in 802.3 consisted of
- 10BASE2 (i.e. "CheaperNet" BNC based coax, approved 6/13/85)
- 10BROAD-36 (i.e. Ethernet over Broadband, approved 9/19/85)
- 10 Mb/s Baseband Repeater, approved 3/13/86
The StarLAN task force had been recently formed but was still working on the 5 Criteria.
The FOIRL activity was started at the November '84 meeting.

StarLAN was the first twisted pair activity and it was directed towards the installed base of AT&T DIW wiring (approximately (but not quite) equivalent toCat 3, 4-pair or 25-pair.  We weren't even considering residential cabling at the time which was even lower grade (6-pair unjacketed).

There was no standard for Cat 3 and AT&T wasn't willing to release their proprietary specs for DIW.  802.3 had to characterize DIW on its own.  Cat 5 wasn't even a gleam in anybody's eye at the time.  The biggest media news on the block was the newly released IBM Cabling System Type 1 Cable.  It was spec'd all the way to 16 MHz (even though it was/is a lot better than that)

Your point, I believe and which I support is that alleging to be "future proof" is difficult to do.  I don't think many of us (certainly not a consensus) believed that Cat5 was as "future proof" as it has turned out to be.

Best regards,

Geoff Thompson