Re: [802.3_NGAUTO] potential objectives change

George:

I support your approach you suggest.

—Bob

On Jan 30, 2017, at 3:31 PM, George Zimmerman <george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I was considering our objectives, and the expansion to include generalization on speeds and media types, and looking at what we had adopted that was specific.

The 10Gbps rate for the MAC is necessary (and we’ll have to add new rates for any additional speeds), but the “operation in automotive environments” objective could be made generic.

To make matters worse, right now it reflects a media choice that we don’t have a PHY or link segment objective for – “single pair shielded balanced copper cabling”.  We have discussed the generalization to using coax or twinax, and even optical PHYs – these would need their own “automotive environments” objectives, making  the objectives clunky, and having this objective spell out more than it needs to.

As a result, I think it would be better if we collapse the objective to refer only to the environment, and leave the media types and rates to their own objectives – each needing to operate in an automotive environment.

So, I would seek feedback on the following objective change:

Change from:

·         Support operation at 10Gb/s in automotive environments (e.g., EMC, temperature) over single pair shielded balanced copper cabling.

·         Support operation in automotive environments (e.g., EMC, temperature).

George A. Zimmerman, Ph.D.

President & Principal Consultant

CME Consulting, Inc.

Experts in PHYsical Layer Communications

1-310-920-3860

george@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx