Re: [802.3_NGBASET] Preview draft D0.8 available.

A few notes on the draft.  You'll notice we called it 0.8, rather than the 0.9 planned.  That's because after going through it after a while,  it still wasn't as complete as I'd like,  and i want the task force to review what's there and help in some areas.

The known issues are:
 The channel and the phy (PMA) specifications are reasonably complete.  Please review.

2.        The figures need to be redrawn for the most part that is straightforward – if someone wants to help out here, that’s great, or if there’s a nonobvious wrinkle please let me know, but in most cases this is noted.

3.       The mapping of the new PCS to an FEC is more complicated than I thought, because the primitives from the FEC to the 40GBASE-R PCS need to be defined.  Hence I have delayed it.  If we are going to stay with the new architecture, we desparatelyneed:

a.       Proposals for text for primitives linking the FEC to the 40GBASE-R PCS

b.      Proposals for figures detailing the FEC and 40GBASE-R PCS interrelation

c.       Proposals considering what additions are needed to the generic 40G clauses (beyond simply adding in a layer – I’m convinced there is more than this because of the explicit references to a by-lane parallelization, which BASE-T breaks).

4.       We are desperately in need of a 40G FEC/PCS sub-editor.  This job will get even more important if we are going to try to fold in a 25GBASE-T later on, because we will need to stay aligned with, and possibly influence directions, there.  If we stay with the new architecture this is all essentially new text. It isn’t entirely borrowed from the other 40G clauses (which was my initial thought), and is a significant departure from 10GBASE-T.  I believe we should stay with the new architecture, but it requires work.

George A. Zimmerman
CME Consulting,  Inc.
Experts in PHYsical Layer Communications
310-920-3860

"Chalupsky, David" <david.chalupsky@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello P802.3bq!

Our editorial team has prepared our first preview draft, D0.8, for your review.

http://www.ieee802.org/3/bq/private/8023bq_D0p8.pdf

Enjoy!