[802.3_NGBASET] IEEE 802.3bq Rx CMNR Ad Hoc - Informative Annex to support 113.5.4.3 Rejection of External EM Fields?

Dear Colleagues,

As discussed in the April 29th meeting of the P802.3bq Rx CMNR ad hoc meeting, I would like to open a thread to facilitate the discussion, development and review of a possible informative Annex (Annex 113A) for subclause 113.5.4.3 Rejection of External EM Fields.

We will use this thread in lieu of the cancelled May 13th Rx CMNR ad hoc to move the work forward.

The motivation for developing and proposing this Annex was discussed during the April 29th meeting.

For your reference, I am including a couple of excerpts from the contribution that we used to guide our discussion.

All sections and text of the working document (which is a mark-up and update of 802.3-2012, Section 3, Annex 40B) are fair game for your comments and suggestions.

Having said that, based on last week’s meeting discussion the main areas that require further definition and refinement include:

·         The clamp validation setup, including improved methods to measure the coupled common-mode and differential-mode noise at the RJ45 output of the test fixture.

o   As an example, It was noted that an alternative balun, featuring both common-mode and differential-mode outputs, may be appropriate for use in the validation setup.

·         Common-mode and differential-mode output voltage limits

·         And, of course, “confirm the source-adjustment criteria, measurement points, and levels used with the clamp methodology” (Our Editor’s note)

I will reply to this thread with links to the materials (discussion materials and the most recent version of the mark-up) as soon as they are available.

Finally, I would like to thank the participants of the Rx CMNR ad hoc for their helpful discussion in last week’s meeting, and look forward to creating an informative Annex that will help implementers successfully evaluate their BASE-T solutions against 113.5.4.3.

Best regards,

Pete Cibula

P802.3bq Rx CNMNR ad hoc Chair