Re: [802.3_NGMMF] what form for our objectives? please discuss

This is an interesting discussion. Generic is helpful in that it does permit the task force to adjust without having to change objectives and CSDs that are too rigid. I'm sure many of us remember having to re-adjust the objectives and CSDs for a number of recent 802.3 projects.

One approach that may work (if we don't over-engineer it... LOL) is to keep the objectives generic, "Define 400Gb/s PHY for operation over channel lengths up to at least X m." and use the CSD (distinct identity specifically) to stipulate that there must be fewer than 16 pairs (or 8 pairs or less) to help constrain the solution set.

Just a thought.

Happy New Year,
Brad