[10GBASE-CX4] December Interim

Hello all,

If you are receiving this, you are the lucky owner of a subscription to the
IEEE 802.3 10GBASE-CX4 Study Group Reflector!

I am just sending this note out to inform you that the hotel is anxiously
awaiting your phone-call / internet reservation. I spoke with the conference
manager today and she asked me to let people know that Monday and Tuesday
are busy nights for them so they typically sell out. We have reserved 35
rooms
on the block and then it will get sticky.

On the subject of presentations; I have been advised to provide you with a
set of guidelines for presentations. I will be doing so very soon, but the
general
rules are;

http://www.ieee802.org/3/af/public/presentproc.html

With the following additions;
- Requests for presentation time should be scheduled with the chair one week
prior to the meeting
- Presentations should be supplied via e-mail as a PDF file one week before
the
meeting
- Avoid fussy backgrounds or other decorative graphics
- No animations, video clips, etc.
- Goal: to keep the PDF small enough to fit on a single floppy disk
- You must attend one meeting prior to presenting (waived this meeting)

Some direction I would add... we are REALLY interested in a few key things.

1) Understanding how much De-emphasis can be used to minimize the demand
on equalization, while maintaining an open eye at the near end. (Simulation
and
measurements are very useful)

2) Nailing down a transmit compliance channel based on data from item #1

3) Nailing down the full channel spec for a 15m cable assembly that is
manufacturable
in volume.

4) Getting the framework of a working paper in order so that we can start
putting
flesh upon it quickly.

The agenda for the upcoming meeting will be;

I - Elect Chairman
II - Appoint Secretary
III - Presentations (Hopefully with some focus on 1-4 above)
IV - Establish two tracks with leaders (Tech track - Editorial track)

Lest it be lost in the flurry, we will want to review and get the PAR, 5
Criteria
and objectives secured prior to the March Plenary, but I am thinking that if
we
make good technical progress, the touch-ups to the slides presented at the
CFI on that subject may go pretty quickly.

If there are any questions, either contact me directly or feel free to share
them
on the reflector.

Regards,

Dan Dove