Re: Cable characteristics [was: [10GBASE-CX4] WorkingPaperAvailable]

Chuck,

I agree with your concern about making sure we have a spec that
ensures interoperability. I believe that Howard does as well. During the
last meeting, we discussed the parameters that are
necessary to ensure an adequate specification. That discussion
was focused on an alternative method of measurement and specs
that the group agreed was correct.

Our approach was to define the step response, which if evaluated
properly, can render an accurate representation of the output
characteristics of a driver and how it implements pre-emphasis. Then we use
a definition of allowable random, and deterministic jitter that covers all
of the cases you are concerned about.

You see, the maximum jitter is even calculable, and so it is
possible to use a pre-defined data pattern with a calculable
amount of jitter, consider the effects of random jitter, and also the
variation about the compliant impulse response and you have
effectively done the same thing with less steps and comparable
accuracy.

Given our desire to get this spec done quickly as well, I believe
our current approach will yield a better solution to our challenge.

Regards,

Dan Dove

Dan
Principal Engineer, LAN PHY Technology