[10GBASE-CX4] CX4 cable, NIC, etc

Hi,

Simple question:

Will there be such things as a "10GBASE-CX4-compliant cable
assembly", or a "10GBASE-CX4-compliant NIC", as standalone items?
If so, would we want to have separate PICS sections, e.g.
54.12 for PMD, 54.13 for cable assy (i.e. baseband medium)?

Am I out in left field expecting users to buy compliant NICs
from one vendor, a compliant cable from another vendor, and
just have it work?

54.12.1 could be read such that only a complete implementation,
consisting of both PMD *and* medium, is able to "comply" with
802.3aj. Is that the intent? Does that give the type of interop
that our customers expect?

Apologies if this is an old discussion. It's new to the mail
reflector. :-/

Cheers,
  Chuck Harrison
  Far Field Associates, LLC