RE: [10GBASE-CX4] SIGNAL_DETECT

As an aid in studying the high vs. low frequency content of IPGs, I built a spread sheet that contains about all the possible IPG patterns that meet XAUI specs. I have attached this both as an Excel spread sheet and a PDF file. The columns headed 'RD' reflect the running disparity at that point in a sequence. Almost all the patterns shown are three symbol patterns (the exceptions being the Start of Frame patterns). Among Ordered_Sets I have only included ||LF|| and ||RF||. The Start of Frame and Sequence Ordered_Set patterns are lane-specific, (Lanes1 & 2 are identical), the others are common to all lanes (except the unexpanded ||Tn|| bits, where 0 to 3 lanes are random data for this table).

The conclusion is that all the patterns contain a lot of 3- & 4- bit runs, and very few 1-bit runs, so that although the data-detecting circuit has to look at am equalized eye, a signal detect circuit can expect to see transitions close to the maximum value possible in an IPG. Hence a circuit that accepts near-LF signal amplitudes within a few bit times as 'signal present', but requires more than a full packet length absence before declaring 'signal not present', should have no trouble generating a reliable 'SIGNAL_DETECT' function within the terms of a XAUI-like requirement for CX4.

Peter Bradshaw

XAUI_IPG.pdf

XAUI_IPG.xls