Re: [10GBASE-CX4] comments on latest CX4 revision

Steve, Howard,

Thank you for the detailed responses.  I understand some of the issues and anticipated measurement techniques regarding the transmitter template better now.

Still, I have serious reservations.  I think my concern is illustrated in your presentation where adding 2 inches of FR4 induced a change in the mask.  Real silicon might pass on a given package and a given PCB yet fail on a different package and PCB.  That is the real world (for us, at least).  We could not sell a product if we required an ASIC customer to use only certain pins of certain packages and constrain their PCB layout in such a tight fashion.

I suspect that such variations will cause a lot of product to fail the template test, even though they would perform fine in the application.  That is, small reflections or resonances which transgress the TX template could be due to high frequency energy which would be virtually eliminated by attenuation at the receiver where the pre-emphasis actually does its magic.  I might provide some comparable hardware measurements to show non-compliance, but don't see how one example proves anything.  That is, is it the test which would be flawed or the part under test?

Compliance tests which allow product to pass while failing in the application are certainly a disaster, but tests which fail perfectly good product are also a big problem.  I see no clear reason why the template is a necessary condition for a product to perform in the application.

The approach which XAUI used and which I had proposed to CX4 -- a Compliance Interconnect -- avoids these difficulties.  But the group has decided to go in a different direction.  I guess we'll just have to agree to disagree and see how it comes out.  I don't enjoy being a nay-sayer, but I have to call it as I see it -- the same as we all do -- for this process to work.

Regards,
Mike

ps:  An afterthought -- maybe you could repeat the simulations with some random variations built into the package and PCB models to get an idea of the sensitivity?

 Mike,My answers to your comments below in blue.Steve