Re: [Bulk] Re: [802.1 - 7261] Opportunity to vote in IEEE 802.3 WG initial ballot: IEEE P802.3.1/D2.0 Ethernet MIBs

Dan

On 5/13/10 7:40 AM, Romascanu, Dan (Dan) wrote:
1. I could not figure out the logic of the order of the inclusion of the
MIB modules. Maybe it is explained some place and I missed it. As this
order will probably stay with the evolution of the document I would
suggest to follow the order of the development of the MIB modules -
Ethernet Interfaces, Repeater, MAU, PoE, EPON, EFM, WAN, LLDP.
I believe that your suggested sequence would not make any sense to someone on the outside who has not been involved with the history of MIB development for Ethernet.

I suggest what I believe is more transparent logic.
That would be to sequence modules in the same sequence as their "foundation clauses" in Std 802.3
(That should pretty closely match your suggestion anyway)
In that way, we would normally tuck things at the end, but on the odd occasion that 802.3 puts a clause at somewhere other than the end (usually with reason aforethought) we would track that and do the same in the MIB

Hopefully, with that as the methodology, 802.3 and 802.3.1 will maintain a reasonably parallel constrcution.

Best regards,

Geoff

Geoffrey O. Thompson
Chair, IEEE 802.23 Emergency Services Working Group

GraCaSI Standards Advisory Services
158 Paseo Ct.
Mountain View, CA 94043-5286
<thompson@xxxxxxxx>