May 2013 Victoria Interim--Reminder and Travel Suggestions

Colleagues,

I have been bombarding you with meeting announcements---we now have three
meetings in play with the March Plenary, the May Interim and our July
Plenary in Geneva.

Thanks to the many people who have already booked hotel rooms for May. I
encourage those of you who do not yet have a reservation to make one as soon
as you can.

Here's the May Interim link: http://tinyurl.com/802-3-May-interim

I?ve spoken to many of you who plan to take ferries or seaplanes to Victoria
to enjoy the spectacular scenery of Puget Sound, the San Juan Islands, and
Vancouver Island, so we?ve summarized the many travel options to help you
make plans.

First, anyone wishing to fly traditional airplanes into Victoria
International Airport must take care to search for flights using the
Victoria airport code YYJ. Some airline websites auto-fill other airports,
or offer YYJ at the bottom of a list of options.
San Francisco Bay Area residents can take direct flights to YYJ from SFO on
United. These flights are also available as Air Canada code shares, and
qualify for our discount when booking on aircanada.com using Promotional
Code XQ6V8CG1

Other attendees can connect through Vancouver (YVR), Seattle (SEA) or San
Francisco (SFO). Many connections are available as code shares using the Air
Canada discount. Alaska offers additional options. Book using Discount Code
ECMU310 on alaskaair.com. Overseas connections through SEA or SFO require US
entry, including customs and immigration.

Travelers who want to try something new may wish to take a seaplane into
Victoria Inner Harbor Airport (YWH) from a connecting airport or another
location. Victoria?s Inner Harbor is across the street from the Fairmont
Empress. Options include:

Seaplanes to Victoria Inner Harbor from Seattle (SEA and 3 other locations)
Kenmore Air, http://www.kenmoreair.com/mapdestinations.aspx

Seaplanes to Victoria Inner Harbor from Vancouver and surrounding area (YVR
and many other BC locations)
http://www.harbour-air.com/index.php
http://www.westcoastair.com

Others may wish to take ferries to downtown Victoria or Sidney, BC (near the
Victoria International Airport) from Washington and BC locations. Options
include:

Passenger ferry to downtown Victoria from downtown Seattle
Victoria Clipper
http://www.clippervacations.com/ferry/seattlevictoriaferry

Car ferry to downtown Victoria from Port Angeles, Washington
Black Ball Transport ?MV Coho?, http://www.cohoferry.com/main/

Car ferry to Sidney, BC, from Anacortes, Washington
Washington State Ferries,
http://www.wsdot.com/ferries/schedule/ScheduleDetailByRoute.aspx?schedroutei
d=1558

Car ferries from British Columbia locations to Swartz Bay, Sidney BC
BC Ferries, http://www.bcferries.com

The Fairmont Empress has some additional information here:
http://www.fairmont.com/empress-victoria/map/mapanddirections/

Tripadvisor has an exhaustive list of ways to get to Victoria:
http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g154943-c5611/Vancouver:British-Col
u mbia:G etting.From.Vancouver.To.Victoria.html

802.3 Interims Web Page: http://ieee802.org/3/interims/index.html

I'm taking the MV Coho from Port Angeles, WA. The drive up the Olympic
Peninsula is spectacular. However you get there, I look forward to seeing
you all in May in Victoria at the Fairmont Empress!

Thanks to Lynn Kennedy, the Ethernet Alliance meeting planner, for putting
all the options together.

Regards,

Steve

Steven B. Carlson
Chair, IEEE P802.3bp Reduced Twisted Pair Gigabit Ethernet PHY Task Force
http://www.ieee802.org/3/RTPGE/index.html
Executive Secretary, IEEE 802.3 Working Group
 http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/index.html
President
High Speed Design, Inc.
Portland, OR