[bp] RE: Agenda Request

Nitish and all,

The preliminary meeting times for the Backplane Ethernet Study Group are as follows:

Tuesday, March 16, 8am to 6pm
Wednesday, March 17, 8am to 6pm
Thursday, March 18, 8am to noon

Please note that at the IEEE 802.3 closing plenary Thursday afternoon, we will be requesting that 802.3 forward our PAR and 5 criteria to SEC and Nescom so that we can become a task force under 802.3.  Please plan to attend the closing plenary in its entirety to be sure that you there to show your support for this effort.

A more detailed agenda will be made available when all the presentation requests are in.  I remind you that requests for presentation time and associated presentation materials are due no later than midnight (EST) Wednesday March 10 but earlier submissions are greatly appreciated (the sooner I get requests, the sooner I can form the detailed agenda).  My thanks to all of you who have already provided me with their requests for presentation time.

I have attached an excerpt from the February 11 posting which describes the business I wish to complete at the upcoming meeting.  I will note that, to date, I have not received a request for presentation time that bears directly on the topic of autonegotiation, or the BER requirements.  We currently have an objective that states that we will "consider autonegotiation."  Let us start considering.  I strongly encourage study group members to present their opinions on autonegotiation to the group so that we can define a proper objective in the topic of autonegotiation.  Guidelines for such a presentation may be found in the excerpt below.

An excerpt from the February 11 posting...

Our main objective for this plenary meeting is to move our documents through the various stages of the process so we can become a task force.  Our documents (the PAR, five criteria, and the initial list of objectives) are posted at:

http://ieee802.org/3/bladesg/

Note that I expect the PAR to posted shortly.  As a first priority, we will be responding to comments on these documents.  Closely related to this activity is the resolution of the following isuses:

1.  "Consider auto-negotiation"

This objective was adopted by the study group due to the belief that there is value in automatically negotiating between the 1 and 10Gb/s speeds.  However, this ambiguous wording was chosen because it was not clear whether the auto-negotiation would be based on clause 28, clause 37, or some new protocol.  The study group needs to clarify this objective.  To this end, I strongly encourage reflector discussion and presentations for the March meeting which do the following:
(a) justify the need for auto-negotiation
(b) recommend a signaling scheme and protocol (clause 28, clause 37, or other)
(c) propose an action that the Study Group can take to resolve this issue (i.e. modify an objective)

2.  BER objective

There has been some reflector discussion related to the BER objective of better than 1E-12.  Again, discussion and presentations are encouraged that state an action that can be taken by the SG and justification for the action.  In this case, it would appear that justification would include a discussion of the system requirements, and a description of a credible means to verify a more aggressive BER specification.

I strongly encourage you to voice other comments on the study group documents (which includes the objectives) on the study group reflector.

We will then use the balance of the meeting to discuss proposals on how we might satisfy the objectives.  To this end, I also encourage presentations to address the following:
1.  Channel model to describe 40" copper traces on FR-4 with 2 connectors
2.  Signaling proposals that satisfy the stated objectives (1 and 10Gb/s)
3.  PCS layer proposals (clause 36, clause 49, other?)
etc.

Presentations must be submitted in accordance to the "Procedures for Presenters" which may be found at:

http://ieee802.org/3/bladesg/presentproc.html

Presentation requests and materials are due to me by March 10, although earlier submissions are appreciated.

Thank you,

Adam Healey
Chair, Backplane Ethernet Study Group