[bp] Channel Model Ad Hoc

Colleagues,

For the benefit of those not in attendance at the March plenary meeting, I wish to announce the formation of a channel model ad hoc group.

The purpose of the ad hoc is to characterize the backplane environment and create a set of recommendations for an electrical backplane model (transmission, return loss, NEXT, FEXT, etc.) for consideration by the Study Group.  Those who were involved in XAUI, 10GBASE-CX4, etc. should be familiar with this process and the expected outcome.

I have asked Joel Goergen to organize and lead this effort.

A backplane channel model is a vital element of our future work and I request your support for this endeavor.  If you are interested in participating in this ad hoc, please contact myself (ahealey@agere.com) and Joel (joel@force10networks.com).

Given the light traffic on the Backplane Ethernet reflector, we may use the main reflector for ad hoc discussions.  At the same time, we are expecting to have several teleconferences between now and the May interim meeting, and there may be significant background conversations that do not make it onto the reflector.  If you wish to be more than a casual observer, please contact Joel or myself soon.

Thank you,

Adam Healey
Chair, Backplane Ethernet Study Group