Re: [BP] Revised S-parameters

Title: Message

Is SDD11 really the best parameter? Wouldn’t the RMS error vs frequency from the reference SDD21 curve shape give the same capability with far more design flexibility?

… Rich

From: owner-stds-802-3-blade@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG [mailto:owner-stds-802-3-blade@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG] On Behalf Of Healey, Adam B (Adam)
Sent: Wednesday, August 18, 2004 3:47 PM
To: STDS-802-3-BLADE@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG
Subject: Re: [BP] Revised S-parameters

Hi Ali,

The location of TP1 and TP4 (refer to slide 8 of http://ieee802.org/3/ap/public/jul04/goergen_03_0704.pdf) are similar to TP-1 and TP-4 from PICMG 3.1 and the T and R compliance points for OIF CEI.

They are located at the "component edge" of the transmitter and receiver respectively.  The definition of "component edge" includes any external termination components required by the transmitter/receiver and the AC-coupling capacitors, when used.

This implies that the backplane connectors (and mezzanine connector, when used) are part of the "channel" specification.  Channel return loss requirements would need to be satisfied looking into the channel at either TP1 or TP4.  Transmitter return loss requirements would be defined looking into TP1.  Receiver return requirements would be defined looking into TP4.

Channel return loss, based on the conventions that we are using, will likely be dominated by the first mated connector as you point out.

To include the interaction between the transmitter/receiver and the channel, a cascaded system model is required.  This can be accomplished a variety a ways (cascaded T-parameters for example, refer to OIF).  I suspect that this is something the signaling ad hoc will need to address.  The charter of the channel model ad hoc, like the cabling ad hocs 802.3 has had in the past, is to define the channel return loss looking into TP1 and TP4.  I use the word "channel" rather than backplane, as it now should be clear the our definition of TP1 and TP4 is not only the backplane but the trace on the node/hub (line, daughter, whatever naming convention you prefer) cards as well.

I apologize if you already understood this.  Of course, you may not agree with the above methodology, which is fine.  Let's discuss it on the reflector.  It sounds like you are advocating that we define the backplane connector, which is something I think we have been trying to avoid.  Please clarify.

Thank you,

-Adam