Re: [BP] what constitutes the channel

I think many Si vendor will take issue with 1 below. So let me see if I
can compromise on 2 to make it more palatable to all.

The track I was on was to define the AC cap and trace to pin of the Rx
as a "clean launch".  I think I demonstrated in the presentation that
with close attention to detail and real good "cherry picked" caps, this
can be pretty much done.

The rub is the "real" product channel. I propose that if the AC cap to
Rx is not clean then it is to be included into the channel. I think this
addresses everyone's issues.

Performance: This insures the highest possible performance is supported
by the standard. Superior product design will meet the 40" and more.
Lower cost designs need to make tradeoffs an probably won't reach as
far.

Measurement: This is enabled with the "clean AC launch". Now the issue
we need to address is what is "clean" ... SD11, SD21, etc. Maybe this is
another ad hoc sidebar but I think the measurement experts can plant a
good stake in the ground here.

Silicon Vendors: A clean launch pretty much gets you to the BGA pad as I
demonstrated in the presentation. Since this launch for testing is
relatively transparent, Si vendors should not have serious issues of
including it the Rx.

Board/system designers: Since we now have the "bar" set for performance
(channel spec), board/system designers can trade off connectors,
material, stack-up, etc. We now include the AC cap to Rx as part of the
channel tradeoffs if it's not as "clean" as we would like.

What do y'all think?

Rich Mellitz
Intel Corporation
803-216-2160