Re: [BP] how to evaluate signaling method

john,

    1.  a.  In measurement we pick one frequency and sweep the amplitude
            of interference.  By plotting BER vs interference amplitude
            at the we can find the Rx noise.  Knowing Rx noise we can
            compute an adder to the speced Xtalk tolerance to extrapolate
            from a measurable BER to the BER we want.  This really should
            only need to be done at one frequency.

        b.  The xtalk to use is the upper bound of the Xtalk which the
            system specs allow.  The amount of Xtalk will depend on the
            channel, the Tx low pass characteristics, Tx equalization,
            and signaling type.  All these need to be taken into account
            but some things like Tx equalization may be hard to know
            a-priori and worst case values need to be used.

        c.  We do not have much comparison.

     2  Hspice allows elements which are defined in terms of S-parameters
        in touchstone (s4p) files.  You measure them, we will use them in
        simulation, and that will be real data.

     3.  The number of bits used a trace off between simulation time and
         confidence.  Maybe we should hunt for the interference tolerance
         limit using a small number of bits, then use a larger number to
         confirm it.  Also, by worst-casing the interfering signal we
         enormously reduce the amount of simulation needed.

     4.  The PWL will be complex but manageable i think.  I should have a
         start at it to show by next meeting.

                           charles