Re: [BP] how to evaluate signaling method

Charles,

Thank you for taking the time to pull this outline together so that we
may discuss it prior to next Thursday's meeting.  I have just now had
time to review the thread and I had some questions related to the nature
of the sinusoidal interferer.  I'll start by quoting one your earlier

"The xtalk to use is the upper bound of the Xtalk which the system specs
allow.  The amount of Xtalk will depend on the channel, the Tx low pass
characteristics, Tx equalization, and signaling type.  All these need to
be taken into account but some things like Tx equalization may be hard
to know a-priori and worst case values need to be used."

1.  I agree that the requirements for interference tolerance are system
(and signaling) dependent.  Correct me if I am wrong, but based on your
statement above, the procedure appears to be:

(a) assume a certain low-pass characteristic and worst-case equalization
setting for the transmitter
(b) synthesize a waveform that represents some worst-case pattern and
reflects the assumptions in (a)
(c) pass the resulting waveform through the crosstalk channel
(d) measure the peak-peak value of this waveform and then substitute a
sinusoid of a particular frequency with the same peak-peak amplitude.

My confusion is that if we go through the trouble of (a)-(c), why not
just sum that result of (c) with the forward response?  What is the
value of the substitution for these simulations?

I think the original concept of sweeping the sinusoidal amplitude to
derive the interference tolerance is interesting.  However, I'm not sure
how one would compare these results on an apples-apples basis since not
all systems will see equal interference.  Comparing margins to the
required interference tolerance may be a way around this, but to do so
you need to go back and do the calculations for (a)-(c).

2.  Let's assume for the sake of argument that the receiver contains a
equalization function (possibly adaptive) consisting of some zeros and
poles or perhaps a feed-forward equalizer.  This shapes the spectrum of
the crosstalk (perhaps in a very complex way) and would yield a change
in the peak-peak amplitude of the noise as seen at the slicer.  It is
not clear to me that gain/phase of this filter response at a the
frequency of the injected sinusoid will yield a comparable change in the
peak-peak value.  Can you comment on this?

Thank you,
-Adam