Re: [BP] [SPAM:42%] Re: [BP] Question regarding Channels

All,
    For 802.3 serdes products (1000BASE-X, 10GBASE-X4) there have only
ever been two channels defined and they are both cables (1000BASE-CX and
10GBASE-CX4).  XAUI never defined a channel to work on, it only defined
an insertion loss comliance point similar to how one defines a comliance
load for an output buffer.  802.3ap is blazing new grounds in defining a
channel without stepping up from a prior channel that has already been
defined.  In essence this task force is defining the first backplane
channel for 802.3.  So the question we need to ask ourselfs is:  Do we
want to define a set of channel limits without any definition  (direct
or indierct via a reference to some other standard) of the physical make
up / construction of the channel  or not?  I don't recall anything in
the objectives that forces us one way or the other.  The objectives only
state that it should support opperation .... on improved FR-4 ...
lengths up to at least 1m.  To me this means  any limits the task force
comes up with need to allow a connection using improved FR-4 to be
built.  I think everything else is up for grabs at this point.
    Everyone needs to ask themselves: How much of the physical
requirements should .3ap define for its channel?

Howard