Re: [BP] Question regarding Channels

Title:

This is what OIF tried to do, and I think history shows how difficult it was to get concensous and a method.  Very few people even know how to design a system with this concept. I disagree with it for a standard body in the current form.

You can not select a method, mathematical or mask, without first deciding the level of design practice a system cost will tolerate.  Once the basic outline of an SDD21 is defined, the rest falls into place.  When established, one now understands the degree mask sets have, or mathematicl modeling has to cover, or signaling understands it's limitations.

Without understanding this relationship to SDD21, picking any channel to simulate, good or bad, gets you nowhere.  What are you going to test it to, for example?  What criteria are you going to state the mathematical model works under?  And worse yet, you can't assume positive outcome until after you build it and measure it.  I repeat again ...
-develop an SDD21 that includes the desired level of design practice.
-develop an attenuation accrual to compensate for the design practise as it applies to our individual design cost structures.
-develop channels that meet this, fall below it and above it.
-simulate and pick the signaling
-develop a mathematical model if need be as normative.

simple, fast, and easy for ANYONE to do once the accrual method is established.

IEEE should learn from the mistakes in OIF and move forward.
-joel

Mike-Lerer wrote:
My proposal is the following.

Assuming the 802.3ap Task Group agree's that for 10 Gigabit Serial Signaling
we are not concerned with optimizing operation over legacy backplanes.

1)      Utilize the Channel's developed by the Channel Ad Hoc to evaluate 10
Gigabit Serial Signaling Solutions. Based on that evaluation choose a
signaling solution.

2)      Given a signaling solution develop a normative mathematical tool to
evaluate the potential Bit Error Rate performance of a channel given a
complaint transmitter and receiver. As I envision it this would be a tool
similar to the OIF's Stat-Eye which would take as input measured Channel S
parameters and evaluate the potential Bit Error Rate of the Channel relative
to 802.3ap objectives.

The Channel Ad Hoc's Mask sets and evaluation channels would be an
informative part of the specification.

One benefit of the mathematical approach is that it is able to
quantitatively take into account anomalies in the channel parameters,
ripple, notches, .... much better than mask sets are able to.

The mathematical approach also allows various trade-offs. Low loss channels
will have better signal to noise at the receiver and can therefore tolerate
more cross talk. High loss channels will have smaller signals at the
receiver and be more sensitive to crosstalk.

The Channel Compliance Tool would allow system designers to evaluate
backplanes of interest based on their S parameters to determine whether they
are 10 Gigabit Serial Signaling Capable.

Mike Lerer
Box 636
Londonderry, NH 03053
Home: 603-434-4205