Re: [BP] Question regarding Channels

I don't think we're as far apart as it may seem.  You state that there are a number of customers who do counterboring, and a number who don't.  I agree.  There are certainly different materials and trace dimension out there, both length and width.  -13 is by no means excluded.  It may have challenges reaching the full 40" but that's not excluding it's usage in the majority of the market and that doesn't mean that 40" is not achievable with improved FR4.  I've seen customers do proper engineering to enable upgrade of their systems to 10G, and that of course means taking into account all aspects of high frequency design techniques for their particular system requirements.  You say that for some customers counterboring would be a Greenfield design.  I would say it's their first 10Gbps design (i.e, they didn't design their previous system for upgrade to 10Gbps).

Thanks,        Joe

Joe Abler                                                             abler@us.ibm.com
IBM Microelectronics Division                          919-254-0573
Technical Marketing & HSS Applications    919-254-9616 (fax)
3039 Cornwallis Road
Research Triangle Park, NC  27709

"DAmbrosia, John F" <john.dambrosia@TYCOELECTRONICS.COM>
Sent by: owner-stds-802-3-blade@LISTSERV.IEEE.ORG