[BP] NEXT and FEXT aggressor modeling

Title: Message
Dear 802.3ap Task Force members (Signaling ad hoc),

During Friday's call, there was a discussion about the interpretation of the Straw Poll from the previous meeting which proposed that the "Next/Fext treatment should be : A. Random, B. Deterministic, C. Both ". My interpretation of Option C (Both) was that the NEXT/FEXT aggressor would be be modeled as a deterministic source as well as a random source, in separate simulations, and that both results would be reported.

Mike A asked me to formalize this and post it to the reflector, in the hope that we could reach consensus on the reflector before next week's meeting. So here it is:
For the purpose of simulating NEXT and FEXT impairments and comparing their effect on various signaling schemes, the NEXT and FEXT sources shall be modeled in the following two ways, and both results shall be reported:
1. Deterministic: A random data signal of the type of 10GBASE-KR
2. Random: Gaussian noise filtered to have the same PSD and power as 10GBASE-KR

Rationale:
Both models have unique advantages and disadvantages from the point of view of evaluating the competing signaling schemes. The deterministic source is most like a real-life aggressor, but the results will be somewhat anecdotal, and special efforts will need to be made to make it behave in a worst-case manner (aligning the phase with the received signal, etc.), especially when modeling multiple aggressors. The random source does not look like a data signal, but rather represents a collection of asynchronous sources. It is simpler to model, which is important in our context, since we want to minimize the number of parameters that can be interpreted differently.

Comments?

Regards,

Vivek

Vivek Telang