Re: [BP] Additions to Signaling spread sheet

Hi Brian,

The only reason I added the "(almost)" was to be strictly correct. I can
think of pathological pdfs for which the SNR based BER is not
pessimistic. For example, (i) a pdf that is skinny with a long tail, for
which the rms would be small, but the peak would be large, or (ii) a
multi-modal pdf. But I have no reason to believe that these pdfs are
realistic in our environment. So all practical purposes, I believe that
the SNR based BER will be pessimistic.

I too don't have a favorite in this race, and I am only interested in a
fair evaluation. I plan to evaluate all the proposals, which is why
keeping the computational burden low is very important to me.

Jitter and timing margins can be accounted for in the MATLAB analysis
fairly easily. It has always been included in the analysis that we use
to evaluate receiver architectures. The random jitter is assumed to have
a Gaussian pdf.

Hope this helps to answer your questions.

Regards,

Vivek