[BP] Recommended channel subset from peters_01_0904

In an effort to reduce the time and effort required by interested task force participants to perform the signaling simulations and fill in the signaling spreadsheet, we recommend the following 8 channels, as a subset of the 18 submitted channels, to be used in subsequent signaling simulations.  These channels were selected after a thorough look at the different topologies across ATCA and enterprise apps, considering both the frequency responses and some preliminary pulse responses.  These 8 channels cover the majority of volume applications that we have come across talking to many of our customers and partners.  We hope this will expedite the selection of the line coding scheme by the signaling ad hoc.  As stated, it does not cover all apps and the other channels that we posted earlier are certainly valid for some of those usages and design practices. We can defer looking at those for a later date.

The channel thru, next and fext S-parameters, as well as some explanatory material including channel parameters, are available on the Channel Model Library section of the 802.3ap web site (http://www.ieee802.org/3/ap/public/channel_model/index.html ).  The recommended channels are B1, B12, B20, M1, M20, T1, T12 and T20.  Please contact me (William.r.peters@intel.com) if there are any questions in the proper usage of the models.

William Peters,

Aniruddha Kundu