From: owner-stds-802-3-blade@ieee.org
[mailto:owner-stds-802-3-blade@ieee.org] On Behalf Of Scott McMorrow
Sent: Friday, June 10, 2005 5:15 PM
To: STDS-802-3-BLADE@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [BP] Dielectric Weave effects

I am not currently aware of any systematic study of differential pair
skew on production backplanes, due to the problem of accurate
instrumentation of hundreds of channels.  However, there are occasional
anecdotal measurements that have been made by some connector vendors on
customer backplanes which have shown 40 to 50 ps skew from time to time
on high BER channels.  Teradyne and Teraspeed Consulting will begin
conducting a systematic study of backplane length differential pair skew

this summer, on a variety of standard backplane stackup and trace
configurations.  That data should be available by fall, and allow us to
set some fundamental skew limits on weave-parallel routed tracks and
off-angle tracks.  I believe that Intel Labs is also involved in a
similar study.   However, I believe thate Rich is correct. A theoretical

upper skew bound of 6 ps/in does currently exist for many stackup,
material and trace geometry combinations.  In addition, a lower skew
asymptotic bound for optimal routing strategies w.r.t. the weave has
been shown to exist, but has not been adequately quantified by anyone
that I am aware of.  However, this may eventually prove to be elusive
due to low level defects in the fiberglass structure and non-uniform
epoxy Er.

It is my belief that when laminate weave skew is placed into the mix and

common mode conversion is properly accounted for, non-NRZ encoding
schemes may have enough UI headroom to ultimately outperform NRZ
signaling, in the worst cases.  However, this is only a hunch and not
yet substantiated.  However, I think it behooves the committee to
consider laminate weave skew in the specification.  It is my considered
position that a total differential skew specification of 20 ps in an
end-to-end system is not achievable on epoxy/glass composites without
extra ordinary efforts and license of (or violation of) at least one
major patent in this area.

There is yet another possibility that may hold promise.  Electronic skew

pre-compensation may very well allow channels to work in the presence of

moderate amounts of differential skew.

Regards,

Scott

Scott McMorrow
Teraspeed Consulting Group LLC
121 North River Drive
Narragansett, RI 02882
(401) 284-1827 Business
(401) 284-1840 Fax

http://www.teraspeed.com

Teraspeed(r) is the registered service mark of