Re: [BP] Recommended material and connectors

Title: Message

I’ll add one more challenge to Aniruddha’s list…. Test points!  While not a big deal for some vendors is may be for others.

…Rich

From: Kundu, Aniruddha [mailto:aniruddha.kundu@INTEL.COM]
Sent: Monday, August 22, 2005 5:16 PM
To: STDS-802-3-BLADE@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [BP] Recommended material and connectors

Hi Ayal,

Since you asked a specific question regarding the last bullet - if it is a consensus in the industry or not - and hence the answer. We, at intel are doing a thorough investigation. Cost is one aspect and "cheap" is relative. For Intel some times even $0.10 is expensive. It depends on the many things as you can imagine. So is there a consensus about back drilling being cheap? The answer is NO.

Other than that - there are other challenges. I will state that our manufacturing is NOT recommending backdrilling as an option for "near future". Specific reasons:

1. Not all high volume manufacturers (esp. in APAC) are yet ready. Although some of them are planning to invest for that capability.

2. Long term reliability and quality of production is still a big question. Without giving specific details because of confidentiality, I can only state taht there has been report of field failure, because of backdrilling. The problem was manifested after several montsh of service... the problem was manifested at a much later date and was attributed to "fracture" (I cannot elaborate any further) because of back drilling.

Granted many US OEMs are using backdrilling for some products ... but that's not what could be used as a milestone for high volume applications. We see 10G being in hig volume applications to be succesful! We will continue to pursue backdrilling process and wait until it matures.

Although I am not suposed to talk about implementation details...I will say that  for 10G designs that needs to be started in the next 6 months or so.. we prefer to stay away from back drilling.

-Aniruddha Kundu
Principal Architect, Modular Platforms
Modular Communications Platforms Division
Communications Infrastructure Group
Intel Corporation
Ph. No: 503-677-4879