Re: [BP] channel loss difference

Title:
Shannon,

I find your arguments fascinating!  Have you forgotten that the channel has not changed much in two years?  Have you forgotten that in the past two years we have done our best to include channels already in production that really should not have been included in the first place based on design practices of today by adding means to include ripple, xtalk, etc?  And have you forgotten that it was the pressure of the server blade industry in ATCA applications that led us to this very point?

And now, when it is clear that NRZ data is extremely difficult to send on this EIT methodology or server balde implementation, you ask what about .75meters.

1) I would not support a means or method that would include a .75meter distance.  There are two many channels out there that are 1meter.  I doubt that .75meters would work for the server blade industry.

2) Two years ago, we changed the SDD21 min based on the required lower frequency response needed.  Now, it appears we want to raise the line back the additional 2dB in that same area.  We have made the standard so complicated already by adding several "what if" curves just to run NRZ coding on channels that really should have been re-designed in the first place.

3) Adjusting the SDD21 higher freq range higher then what it is will ultimately prevent the average design from using basic improved fr-4 materials such as 408 or -13.  Higher grade materials such as 620 or -13SI will have to be deployed to achieve compliance over temp, over humidity, over production volume.  This is what drove the line to where it is now and what made the line so difficult in the first place.  The server blade industry did NOT want to pay additional cost of board materials that most would have been forced to pay had we raised the line where some of the SERDES companies where originally asking for.

4) If NRZ can not support the model, then we need to ask what is the market we are addressing.  If it is still a good share of the server blade industry, I suggest we leave the limit line where it is and clean up the SDD11 since we already know this has an effect.  In particular, since this is a compliance test, it might not be a bad idea anyway.  Or reduce the XTALK curves.

In my opinion, the channel model describes the material constraints quite well.  Perhaps we need to finish specifications on cables and connector launches within our test setups ... as we attempted to do over two years ago and abandoned.

-joel

Sawyer, Shannon wrote:

John, et al,

I’m not going to be in San Diego, so I thought I’d better clarify my position on the proposed channel insertion loss values. My intent was to show support for reducing channel insertion loss. Not necessarily all the way to 20dB@5.16GHz, but less than 26dB, for the following reasons.

In my opinion, Charles, Matt, and I have the most accurate perspective of the problem since we’ve actually performed and published EIT testing on real transceivers. For KX, KX4 and KR testing, Charles and I used a channel that closely matched the Goergen channel (26dB@5.16GHz) and saw crosstalk tolerances of 450, 180, and ~2mV@BER 1E-12 respectively. The power summed crosstalk from Tyco, Molex, and Intel NEXT, FEXT shows 20-100mVp@BER 1E-12 aggression to the thru signal, so the crosstalk tolerance limits are in the ballpark. Matt found that crosstalk tolerance results on a ~23dB@5.16GHz channel were ~30mV below the 20dB channel for KR operation. EIT test results documents are here:

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ap/public/jun05/sawyer_02_0605.pdf

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ap/public/sep05/sawyer_01_0905.pdf

http://grouper.ieee.org/groups/802/3/ap/public/sep05/brown_01_0905.pdf

Real measured data is a compelling argument, and so far we have seen, 4 out of 4 vendors (2 unpublished) that are either borderline or failing EIT (last Fall’s definition) testing for KR. The 802.3ap channels’ PCBs and connectors were designed years ago for ~XAUI data rates, and appear to be the best opportunity for improvement (larger signal with reduced PNA, hence reduced DCD) in this system to enable KR operation.

Is there a compelling argument against a 0.75m channel?

-Shannon