Re: [BP] channel loss difference

Shannon,

I think the entire group is under the realization that we need to entertain all possible solutions to make this work.  My voting no at the last straw poll was related to the undefined changes for the rest of the curve.  As I have stated before, I am of the opinion that too much is being taken away from the lower frequency in the proposed curves from Charles, which will make the channel more difficult to meet and hold down there.

As far as your perspective, you guys are definitely the closest to it.  No doubt about that.  However, I will point out that the presentations you have pointed to from what I understand are not necessarily from KR solutions.  Transmitters were either test equipment or 2 tap.  That was observed and changed in the EIT test spec, right?  I think Joe’s work is much more convincing at this point.

As far as your comments regarding the channels, there are n+1 different sides to that story, isn’t there?  Channels submitted were in accordance with what was felt could be fabricated and assembled while trying to maintain as broad a list of possible materials as possible.  In addition a range of channels were provided to try and test various test conditions.

Regarding improvements to be had, the same thing could be said regarding the packaging.  I look at the return loss of the file sent out by Charles and what Joe showed in his presentation, and think,”Wow the package is having a huge impact on self interference.”  The package is a difficult issue though isn’t it?  Well so is a system, given the vast array of compromises that need to be made, and by the way trying to maximize the total system density while at the same time trying to keep cost to a minimum as well.  I believe I have heard similar comments made regarding the issues related to putting this stuff into a chip right?

Depending on what side of the fence you are sitting on, the compromises seen from that perspective will always seem like the most insurmountable.  I will say this though – making a single channel work to meet further constrained channels is far more simplistic than doing it in a system environment.

My comment regarding the 0.75m channel was intended as an observation of your -20dB channel for 1m.  I believe from the blade server people we saw 31” to 34” for most applications and some claiming to need up to the 1m.  I do not believe we should consider changing the objective yet.  There are things still being considered by some.  From a channel perspective -24 is better than -23 is better than -22.5… etc. And don’t forget the lower end as well.

My two cents.

John