From: Joel Goergen [mailto:joel@force10networks.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 16, 2006 9:32 AM
To: STDS-802-3-BLADE@listserv.ieee.org
Subject: Re: [BP] Simulations for EIT

Howard/John/Rich and all interested ...

Though I don't agree completely with Howard's discussion, I see a theme appearing in this thread.  When combined with comments that have been placed against the draft document, it looks as if we are covering the same ground already covered from day one.  And to be blunt, it is getting old.  Every time I think the working group is past an issue, it pops back up in some other form, but same message.

Design Methodology combined with a Normative Channel:
We can't agree on this in OIF where it is one company/one vote ... it would never happen with individual votes involved to write a document that details design criteria for a specific speed differential channel covering signal, material, tx, rx, power noise, connector, cross talk, chip  and packaging.  All this laying route to a normative definition of a channel set and connector that a five year old could design without issue.

There are always cases out there that are going to stress the definition ( the draft ) we are working on.  When do you stop trying to find cases and focus on what 80% of the designers would do in a channel ... maybe even as low as 60%?  When do you stop dragging out the work efforts for cases that don't make sense and are really related to research a company or individual should have to design a channel?

Cases That Don't Make Sense:
Systems companies have to put a certain level of practical thought into a design.  I realize that when a system doesn't work, the chip vendor is the one squeezed.  But whose fault is that?  Most vendors have detailed white papers on how to avoid poor design practices ... or at least defining them.  If a system design does not follow recommended practice, how does that relate to the standard and why should a vendor panic to solve a problem beyond the scope of what is reasonable in the design.  I know ... easier said, but still ... come on!  Just once wouldn't you like to ask a customer what they were thinking when they did the design?  Or at the very least suggest they tighten the bulb a bit?

We defined early on the test cases we would use to verify the work.  Are we adding to it or changing it, and if so, why?  Back plane design is based on design methodology and channel design.  We have done our best to identify practice along the way.  But you will never prevent someone from doing the unforgiven.  If we are not going to stop here, beyond the additional work we have all gone through the past two years to include minimum channels, then we should go on to identify chip packaging and pin placement, gate loading, trace width, pick a specific finish, and finally ... a connector.  Where do you finally stop cases and definition?

I think each of us needs to take a hard look at our comments and our input .... decide what is enough, and move on.  Good work has been done here.

thanks
-joel

Howard A. Baumer wrote:

Rich, John,
    I'm not saying don't do the simulation set with the listed
conditions from Charles that have the victim (thru) and aggressors
(crosstalk) at the same level.  I'm putting out there that everyone that
is going to run simulations to also look at the condition when
everything is worse case.  Because we allow 1200mVppd to exist there
could be a case where we have the victim at 800 and the aggressors at
1200.  Remember the aggressors are alien aggressors, that is you can't
count on your transmitter as the largest source of next, the largest
source could be from another part where the silicon doesn't have control
of the tx output amplitude.  We will be simulating these more extreme,
but allowed, conditions.

     Another note, I'd like to propose the first set of conditions have
a transmit transition time of 42ps at the output of the package model.

Howard