Re: [BP] DC block capacitors in 10G NRZ channels

But the transmitter spec (72.7.1) allows common mode voltage between 0
and 1.9 Volts - the trasmitter doesn't have to be offset to 0 volt
common mode (that would be right on the edge of the spec). Positive
swing can go up to 300 mV above 1.9 Volts or a bit more since the 1.2 V
p-p differential max is into the transmitter test load so the output
might be larger into the receiver impedance.

There does seem to be a whole in our specs (in 70, 71 and 72) in that
the specification for AC coupling doesn't specify the common mode range
over which the coupling is expected to function. That is also lacking in
Clauses 39 and 47. When we specified isolation in twisted pair
standards, we put it in, but not when we specified AC coupling.

Since AC-coupling specs (e.g. 72.7.2.3) say the "AC-coupling is
considered to be part of the receiver for purposes of this specification
unless explicitly stated otherwise," it would make sense to add common
mode tolerance to the input signal amplitude specification. Or it could
be added to the AC-coupling subclauses.

Regards,
Pat