Re: [802.3_NGEPON] 802.3ca (100G-EPON) bi-weekly consensus - call for agenda items

Glen,

As for counting channels, what you say is true of the OLT, but is not correct for the ONU.

Since the ONU optic is the most cost sensitive, you can see where that argument goes downhill fast.

It seems to me that the sharing of channels between generations is a major choice here.

The 1G and 10G EPON systems share an upstream channel, and this leads you to some tough bandwidth tradeoffs in a mixed system.

Your slide 8 shows that the allocation target for 100G EPON is only 57G, and 25G is only 14G.  It seems kind of a false promise.

To put it another way, in any of the systems with higher channel counts, those extra channels give you extra capacity.  So, it’s not just wasted money.

To be clear – I’m not coming down one way or another on this question.  All I’m saying is that the analysis needs to take more into consideration, and in a holistic fashion.

Sincerely,

Frank E.