Re: [802.3_NGEPON] 802.3ca (100G-EPON) bi-weekly consensus - call for agenda items

Hi Glen and All:

 I quite agree with Glen that “If 100G-EPON technology fails, It will be because of high cost”.

Let’s consider that why we choose the PON as the final access technology in the past.  It’s due to that it’s a point to multi-point system,   32/64/128 users can share one fiber , one OLT,  that’s the reason PON is a low cost system.

When we consider 1G EPON, its’ 32/64/128 users sharing 1G bandwidth ,not a dedicating 1G bandwidth.  So it’s same for 100G EPON.  100G EPON should be 32/64/128 users sharing 100G bandwidth. But the absolute majority 100G ONUs don’t need to support 100G peak rate.

That’s the difference between a single wavelength TDM system and a multiple wavelength system.  For a single wavelength TDM system,  the peak rate of ONUs is always equal to the total system capacity .   But for a multiple wavelength system,  the peak rate of the ONUs is not necessary equal to the total system ! (The peak rate of a 100G EPON ONU can be only 25Gb/s)

The cost of ONUs are the majority cost of the total PON system,   if we want to make a real low cost 100G EPON system,  from me, we should focus on how multiple ONUs with 25Gb/s  peak rate to achieve a 100G EPON system.

By the way,  I don’t mean I exclude the 100Gb/s peak rate ONUs, it can be applied for some very high-end users,    but a 100G EPON ONU with only 25Gb/s peak rate should be able to satisfy the  major scenario in 100G EPON   , from the cost effective consideration .

For page 7,  I didn’t understand very well about what “100G ONU” really means,  if all the 100G ONUs means a 100Gb/s peak rate ONU in the slides(as they are shown in the figure),  I need to differ with this.

Best regards

Dekun Liu

Advanced Access Technologies Dept. 网络研究接入技术部

Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. 华为技术有限公司Company_logo
  Phone: +86 027-59267217  Email: liudekun@xxxxxxxxxx