Re: [802.3_NGEPON] ONU ASIC and wavelength plans

Francois

NG-PON2 aside (we are not trying to do just what they did – their decision process and requirement were different at design time), the use of external muxing is messy, operationally complex, adds failure points in the hub, and extra loss in the signal path. I believe the beauty and power of current multi-rate OLTs supporting 1G and 10G-EPON is that a single port can do both, and a customer upgrade in this case is trivial – replace the ONU and it comes up on 10G-EPON with no further reconfiguration needed on the OLT. I would love to have the same flexibility in the future and avoid the need for external filtering components and spaghetti running between OLT ports and some shelf located underneath it.

As far as the arguments in favor of tuneability go:

·         I can agree with 1 – it makes sense, but most outages are caused by fiber cuts, and these cannot be resolved by tuning to a different range. Data on failure rates of a single channel in multi-channel transceiver is something to consider, for sure, but I do not have data on it right now to assess how valuable this is.

·         Item 2: this does not work that well. Once CIPRI hits rates above a few Gb/s, cell towers would have to be moved to 50G or 100G solution to avoid moving them around too often. This is a controlled bandwidth increase and moving them around to different 25G wavelength will not solve the growth curve.

·         Item 3: I do not think the scope of the project is to do a WDM-PON – a vendor can always design it, but we set out to do something different.

·         Item 4: this is the 50G and 100G solution we are talking about. I am not sure why this is a argument in favor of tuneability, really …

Marek