From: Marek Hajduczenia [mailto:marek.hajduczenia@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, February 25, 2016 6:51 AM
To: STDS-802-3-NGEPON@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_NGEPON] ONU ASIC and wavelength plans

Francois,

Just one note: we are already using 1260 – 1280nm band for 10G-EPON. XGS-PON is nothing more than 10G-EPON in disguise (yes, they did change a few things at logical layer, so what). I am not sure though what point you’re trying to make – reuse of 1260-1280 band for NG-EPON would block the coexistence / backward compatibility with 10G-EPON, which is one of our goals for the project.

If we forgot backward compatibility with 1G-EPON, we have plenty of real estate in O band to work with, without the need to kill off compatibility with 10G-EPON.

Marek