Re: [802.3_NGEPON] 25G ONU Options to increase Network Capacity

Some comments on Marek’s input:

Re. 1) – the statements on flagship speeds apply really only to residential deployments. In terms of business services, there are no flagship speeds, and we deploy any data rates that make economic sense on the given platform. The evaluation of a breakpoint is typically done by comparing TCO for a P2P solution providing similar capacity, i.e., when it becomes cheaper to offer a specific number of Gbps to customer over dedicated fiber versus using shared medium. TCO in this case includes fiber cost, edge router cost, etc. to make sure that the comparison does make sense. From my perspective, the assumption in point 1) is false. The driver is to have ability to offer more than 25G in the future per customer, and that was the reason why we started looking at 50G and 100G options, meaning 50G and 100G MAC speeds, not aggregate for 4 independent channels. That is what was written into our objectives.

·         No one is stating not to specify ONU’s with 50G and 100G MAC speeds.

·         Not sure, but you may be stating that the hypothesis that most consumers can be served by ONU’s with 25G capacity is False. If so, this implies that you believe only 25% of consumers can be served ONU’s with 25G capacity and 75% of consumers must have ONU’s with 50G and 100G capacity.

·         Jorge did not state that his calculations for flagship and billboard speeds were only limited to residential services but maybe that is what he meant. I do understand that business services need guaranteed service levels. Not sure if SLA for businesses would be the same as flagship or billboard data levels, or something less.

·         In 10 years, what is Brighthouse’s expectations for % of NGEPON customer being residential versus business? If residential is a significant % of NGEPON deployments in 10 years, then these calculations still matter.

Re 2) – there is a lot of speculation as to where tunable optics will go. It is reasonably well established in long haul transport today, but even there cost delta is still there, after all the years of development and the reasons for deployment are different than in access. For some reason there is an underlying assumption that we need to build 4x25G system, that looks and feels like NG-PON2. I do not know where it came from and I do not believe this is what we were discussing in SG phase. I would be concerned that proving the need for such a project and its unique market identify would be rather hard, given that NG-PON2 is in development.

·         Correct that Wavelength-tunable optics are well-established in Telecom long-haul. The premium for wavelength-tunable DWDM optics for long-haul is down to 20% or less over fixed-wavelength DWDM optics. This is for 88 wavelength channels in Telecom long-haul versus only 3-4 wavelength channels for NGEPON so theoretically a lower premium could be achieved for NGEPON. At high volumes, it is very feasible that wavelength-tunable optics for PON applications could also achieve 20% premium over fixed-wavelength optics. This means that instead of 3.5X premium over λ0 per Glen’s information, the premium could be 1.8X over λ0.

At this time, I would suggest we focus on delivering wat we set out to do: 25G system, 50G system, and 100G system – there are a lot of challenges without adding extra options to address undocumented requirements. Yes, we can bake in a lot of bells and whistles into this system, but the end goal is simple: low cost, scalable system, with typical Ethernet cost curve and reliability.

·         These are not lots of bells and whistles. The options we are discussing are minor items to the standard: allowing 25G ONU’s to be on 4 wavelength pairs and providing provisions for wavelength-tunability. The former can be described in a couple sentences in the standard. Provisions for wavelength-tunability have been done before so my guess is that it could be borrowed from these other sources.

·         No one has stated not to focus on delivering 25G system, 50G system, and 100G system. Adding these small provisions will not remove focus. We probably could have written the provisions already instead of all this correspondence.

·         Allowing for these options can provide lower-cost and more-scalable systems.

Marek has made his views clear. We need to hear the viewpoints from the other cable operators. In the end, we need to take a vote and move on.

Thanks,

Shawn