Re: [802.3_NGEPON] Questions about fragmentation in EPON

Duane, all,

The motivation, as I recall, for exploring upstream fragmentation was to answer the question of does it reduce buffer memory requirements in the OLT.  I would suggest if possible to focus on that question first before we get too deep into the details.   If there isnâ??t a clear win on memory savings, then I suggest not getting into the fragmentation complexity and staying with whole packets.   Perhaps select one or two â??schedulingâ?? models, then focusing on the re-assembly details in the OLT?

Mark

From: Duane Remein [mailto:Duane.Remein@xxxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, June 30, 2016 12:14 PM
To: STDS-802-3-NGEPON@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [802.3_NGEPON] Questions about fragmentation in EPON

Glen/Marek,

During the call today you both expressed concerns about fragmentation. Do the following two questions adequately capture your expressed concerns? If not please clarify.

1)      In a multi-lane mixed capability network (mix of 25G, 50G & 100G ONUs) how would fragmenting avoid loss of capacity due to gaps between bursts?

2)      In a multi-lane mixed capability network how could fragmenting allow an ONU that is bursting on X lanes expand its transmission to X+m (ex. go from 2 lane transmission to 4 lane transmission) smoothly?

Best Regards,

Duane

FutureWei Technologies Inc.

duane.remein@xxxxxxxxxx