Re: [802.3_NGEPON] Call for agenda items -- weekly consensus building for IEEE 802.3ca (100G-EPON)

Hi Curtis and All:

The attachment is my contribution on four wavelength mix (FWM) crosstalk   analysis in O-band.

Due to the telephone meeting time is really tough for the GMT+8:00 time zone in east Asia, so I can only try to join the meeting in the middle night .

I make some brief explain about the results here.

Based on my simulation,  100GHz and 200GHz equal channel spacing can’t work in a noticeable wavelength range in O-band.  400GHz spacing should be able to work in all O-band as long as launch power less than 10dBm (in each channel).  More than 400GHz spacing will be OK.

I assume all 4 channels have a same polarization state, same launch power (from 0dBm scan to maximal 13dBm), and then increases the fiber dispersion coefficient D.  Due to FWM is seriously refrained by fiber dispersion (it destroys the phase match condition very quickly, which is very important for FWM effect)  , ,  so when I increase the D,  the FWM penalty will decrease very quickly. So I simulated the required fiber dispersion coefficient D, which can have a less than 0.2dB penalty (compared with close other 3 channels).

cid:image007.png@01D1D6AE.F4A96210

For example,  the fiber dispersion should be larger  than 0.3ps/nm/km to achieve a <0.2dB penalty by FWM when 8dBm launch power in each channel and 200GHz channel spacing is used.

Consider that , for 400GHz channel spacing, the required fiber dispersion is only >0.1e-3 ps/nm/km  when launch power =10dBm, this is a very small restriction (only preclude the wavelength λ0±0.1nm,  λ0 is the zero dispersion wavelength ), so I conclude that 400GHz channel spacing is a fairly feasible system, while more than 400GHz spacing will be quite safe then.

With the required dispersion and the fiber dispersion slope coefficient (maximal 0.093ps/nm^2/km), I can get what wavelength will have strong FWM crosstalk(>0.2dB),  that’s what the second table means.

Best regards

Dekun Liu

Advanced Access Technologies Dept. 网络研究接入技术部

Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. 华为技术有限公司Company_logo
  Phone: +86 027-59267217  Email: liudekun@xxxxxxxxxx

湖北武汉市关山一路光谷软件园A7-9 邮编:430074
Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.

A7-9 Wuhan Optical Valley Software Park,Guan Shan Road,Wuhan,Hubei, P.R.China