From: frank effenberger
Sent: Friday, May 13, 2016 11:38 AM
Subject: Call for Papers: Globecom Workshop on 100G PONs

All,

I would like to bring to your attention a workshop that is being organized at Globecom 2016 (Washington DC, Dec 4-8)

The link to all the workshops is: http://globecom2016.ieee-globecom.org/content/call-for-workshops

The link to the 100G-PON workshop is: http://www.cablelabs.com/Toward100GbpsPON

The link to submit a paper through the EDAS system is at the bottom of this page.

The workshop description:

The development of optical access has been a story of ever increasing data rates to satisfy the growing demand of broadband users everywhere.  The currently deployed systems (G-PON and EPON) operate at 2.5 Gb/s and below.  The next systems poised for use (XG-PON and 10G-EPON) operate at 10 Gb/s.  The evolution has not stopped there, and the NGPON2 system has introduced wavelength division multiplexed operation to deliver multiples of 10 Gb/s of aggregate capacity.  All of these systems have been well described in the literature and in standards, which provides a backdrop for the subject targeted here.

Now, a new generation of systems is under consideration, to reach even higher capacities and faster speeds.  This can be simply described as “100 Gb/s PON”; however, it is more complex than that.  There are several new basic technologies being developed, such as 25 Gb/s transmission on a single wavelength, and bonding of several wavelength channels into a single logical channel.  There are multiple systems of interest, including 100 Gb/s, 50Gb/s, and 25 Gb/s, as well as asymmetric hybrids thereof.  There are interesting practical issues, such as how to coexist with all the previous generations of PON, and how to build a system that is flexible to the customer’s bandwidth needs.  And lastly, there are the overarching questions of economic and technical feasibility, considering all the different competing solutions and novel applications.

In this way, the subject of 100 Gb/s PONs attracts interest from a large cross section of the optical communication field, including operators, system vendors, device and optics manufacturers.  It also exposes theoretical issues of optical fiber transmission, signal processing, and the application of DSP techniques, increasing the interest of the typical Globecom audience.

The subject is very timely, as many in the industry have just initiated projects in this field.  By December of 2016, many of these efforts will have produced meaningful results, and this workshop would serve as a good review of the progress so far, any unsolved problems seen, and the future steps needed.

My co-organizer Curtis Knittle and I welcome your contributions to the workshop.

Frank Effenberger