From: John Johnson [mailto:000007ff7d378f43-dmarc-request@xxxxxxxx]
Sent: Tuesday, June 28, 2016 5:14 PM
To: STDS-802-3-NGEPON@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_NGEPON] Call for Contributions on PMD issues

Hi Frank,

Certainly the 100G Ethernet applications have driven a lot of the technology development for 25Gb/s per channel optics - EML, DML and mux/demux - and that is the starting point for development of NG-EPON optics.  How much could be directly shared remains to be seen given the very different specs and cost targets of the two applications.  As you point out we will reuse whatever pieces we can consistent with the objectives.

My position is that we should be careful to not align NG-EPON with existing optics for the sole purpose to have some leverage during the early deployments if it would compromise the economics in the long run.  NG-EPON volume will eventually dwarf the telecom/datacom volume.  In fact I think it more likely that future 100G+ point-to-point optical components will be driven by the high volume, low cost infrastructure that we develop for NG-EPON rather than the other way around.  There are many examples of infrastructure and technology put in place for PON being adopted for telecom/datacom applications, including cooled TO-can 10G EML, 40GBASE-LR4 and more recently 100G-CWDM4.

I look forward to further discussion on this topic.

Regards,

John E. Johnson, Ph.D.

Manager, III-V Component R&D  |  Fiber Optics Products Division
Broadcom

office: 484.397.2368  |  mobile: 908.329.5710
9999 Hamilton Blvd.  |  Breinigsville, PA 18031 USA

john.johnson@xxxxxxxxxxxx   |   broadcom.com