Re: [802.3_NGEPON] 答复: [802.3_NGEPON] Clarifying questions on guo_3ca_1_0716.pdf

Dear Guo  :

Thanks for your information collection on 25Gb/s APD receiver sensitivity , I see there is another contribution lee_3ca_2_0716 from Lee do the same things in the meeting next week.

They are very useful for us to evaluate different solutions and define the parameters for 25G systems.

Just a different opinion on your following comments:

This is actually an issue that where you choose to put more pressure, transmitter side or receiver side. We think improving the sensitivity is much easier than increasing the transmitter power.”

Usually, launch power is easier to improve compared with sensitivity improvement, due to :

1)     The transmitter power from the laser chip is much easier to increase compared with APD chip sensitivity.  For launch power, you can always increase the bias current to get more power until the limit of saturation or damage ,  if you can improve the damage power of a laser chip and also improve the heat dissipation with assembling,  then you can get more launch power. While for APD sensitivity, you don’t have much measurement to improve the sensitivity except substantial technology improvement in chips fabrication.

2)     The current coupling efficiency of the transmitter is generally low, 30%~40% coupling efficiency is quite typical. There is still much space for you to improve. If you can improve the coupling efficiency such as by more lens , or better package control, then you can improve it.  While for a receiver , the coupling efficiency  is very high already (more than 80%), there is no space(or very small) to improve.

3)     There is usually a 4~5dB launch power spread range (such as from 4dBm ~ 9dBm for PR30 U1/U3, so large spread range),  so you can get higher launch power just by “pick” (at some cost with yield loss). But for sensitivity , the sensitivity spread range is quite small, you don’t have any spacing to pick up.

The present case is that, if you ask a vendor a transmitter with higher launch power,  it’s usually doable  but just with higher price.  But if you ask a vendor a more sensitive receiver,  the answer is usually “no” (not feasible in technical)

On the issue “where you choose to put more pressure, transmitter side or receiver side”,  I think a better answer is “the OLT side”, due to the OLT is less cost sensitive. That’s also a general principle in the past when we define the PON spec.

But any way, look forward to see all of you and discuss the details next week in the meeting room.

Best regards

Dekun Liu

Advanced Access Technologies Dept. 网络研究接入技术部

Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd. 华为技术有限公司Company_logo
  Phone: +86 027-59267217  Email: liudekun@xxxxxxxxxx

湖北武汉市关山一路光谷软件园A7-9 邮编:430074
Huawei Technologies Co., Ltd.

A7-9 Wuhan Optical Valley Software Park,Guan Shan Road,Wuhan,Hubei, P.R.China