From: frank effenberger
Sent: Monday, October 03, 2016 8:25 PM
To: 'FSAN Exploder (fsan_ngpon@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)'; 'STDS-802-3-NGEPON@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'; 't13sg15q2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'; 'fan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'
Subject: Notice: Special Meeting on PON Convergence

To all interested parties:

There is a growing interest in converging all the world’s PON standards into a more harmonized set of documents.  The previous 1~2Gb/s and 10Gb/s generations of PON systems each have two PMD and TC-layer specifications, and numerous management solutions, in spite of the fact that these systems are very similar to each other.  The approaching 25Gb/s generation of systems gives us another chance to converge these systems into a single set of specification.  There are good practical, commercial, and architectural reasons that motivate all parties to work towards this goal at this time.  That said, the legacy systems must be protected from undue disruption.

The Broadband Forum would like to host a meeting on this topic with all stakeholders at its next meeting in Kansas City, Missouri.  The session will be from 8-10am on Thursday, Oct. 27.  Several introductory presentations will be made, followed by a round-table discussion on the concept, and on developing an action plan for future work.  More information on the meeting (logistics, registration, etc) can be found at:

https://www.broadband-forum.org/meetings/registration.php

We look forward to a productive meeting.  If you have any questions or concerns, please contact me.

Sincerely,

Frank Effenberger

VP Fixed Access Lab

Futurewei Technologies