Re: [802.3_NGEPON] Upstream Burst Delimiter and Sync Pattern Assignment

Marek,

Excellent presentation, thanks for the good work.

I probably will not be able to be on next week’s call so here are a few comments/questions.

1)      Slide 5/1st bullet states “Each parameter is announced once, following the Discovery GATE” whereas slide 9/1st bullet states “OLT announces … before issuing DISCOVERY GATE MPCPDU”.  Please clarify.

2)      Slide 7 – So my understanding is that if SP Index is set to 1 the message applies to the AGC, 2 indicates CDR and 3 is for Burst Delimiter.  So if SP Count = 2 (ACG+CDR & BD) then you would see SP Index of 1 and 3 only.  Is this understanding correct?
Note the “(see slide 7)” on 3rd sub-bullet might want to be “(see slide 8)”.
>16M bits for any sync pattern seems a bit excessive but the message isn’t tight for room so fine, I won’t quibble

3)      Slide 8 – So if SP Balanced = 1 and Repeat is odd the pattern becomes (SP + !SP + SP… + SP) and the pattern has a very minor imbalance.  Is that correct?

4)      Slide 9/4th bullet – I see this answers my Q2.  It seems odd to me that SP Index meaning should change for BD, you might want to consider always using SP Index = 3 for BD.

5)      Slide 10/3rd bullet – definition of “a full set” is weak (will any 2 or 3 messages be OK regardless of how far apart they occur in the transmission stream?).  I would suggest adding a requirement that the SP messages be transmitted in order and in immediate succession.  That way the ONU can avoid accidentally picking up SP1 from one message and SP2 or SP3 from a different definition set.  This should be added to Slides 9 & 10.  Another option would be to add an SP_ID of 2-3 bits to the SP Info field to clearly id a full message set.

Best Regards

Duane