Re: [802.3_NGEPON] Call for agenda - 802.3ca (100G-EPON) consensus building meeting

Umeda-san,

Please, see below.

-Glen

From: Daisuke Umeda [mailto:umeda@xxxxxxxxx]
Sent: Thursday, May 10, 2018 5:14 PM
To: Glen Kramer <glen.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>; STDS-802-3-NGEPON@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [802.3_NGEPON] Call for agenda - 802.3ca (100G-EPON) consensus building meeting

Dear Glen-san,

Thank you for the proposal. Let me confirm.

I think the Discovery GATE should carry just two additional parameters:

1)      ONU_RSSI_Min

2)      ONU_RSSI_Max

I think there's two methods A) and B) to use ONU_RSSI_Min/Max. Which do you assume?

A) We still use ONU RSSI Indication and ONU_RSSI_Min/Max are used just for the announcement of th0-th3.
B) We use ONU_RSSI_Min/Max instead of ONU RSSI Indication. We don't need ONU RSSI Indication Bits any more.

[GK: ] Method B. No ONU_RSSI_Indication. Only two 16-bit values (ONU_RSSI_Min and ONU_RSSI_Max) are sent in Discovery GATE.

In case of A), ONU checks RSSI Indication Bits and judges which th0-2 ONU_RSSI_Min/Max are. After ONU receives th0-2, ONU judges its RSSI Indication class and responds to matched DISCOVERY GATE message (RSSI Indication = RSSI class). For example,

1-a) When ONU RSSI Indication = 100,
  th0 = ONU_RSSI_Max

1-b) When ONU_RSSI Indication = 101,
  th0 = ONU_RSSI_Min
  th1 = ONU_RSSI_Max

1-c) When ONU_RSSI Indication = 110,
  th1 = ONU_RSSI_Min
  th2 = ONU_RSSI_Max

1-d) When ONU_RSSI Indication = 111,
  th2 = ONU_RSSI_Min

In case of B), ONU compares its RSSI and ONU_RSSI_Min/Max enough fast and responds to matched DISCOVERY GATE message (ONU_RSSI_Min <= RSSI < ONU_RSSI_Max).

[GK: ] Yes. ONU should read/measure its own RSSI even before it receives the Discovery GATE. When GATE is received, the ONU only make a simple comparison to decide to respond or not

If (ONU_RSSI_Min <= ONU_RSSI_measured < ONU_RSSI_Max)

                Generate REGISTER_REQ

Else

               // skip the discovery attemp

By the way, I intend to switch SOA gain by 1bit or 2bit hardware pin, then I define 1 or 3 thresholds.

[GK: ] If you have 1 threshold, the OLT sends these two types of GATEs:

Discovery GATE for High SOA Gain:

ONU_RSSI_Min  = 0

_ONU_RSSI_Max_ = TH1 + ONU_Tx_typ – OLT_Tx_typ

Discovery GATE for Low SOA Gain:

_ONU_RSSI_Min_ = TH1 + ONU_Tx_typ – OLT_Tx_typ

_ONU_RSSI_Max_ = 0xFFFF (or some smaller, fixed margin)

If there are 3 thresholds, there are 4 types of GATEes:

Class 1:

ONU_RSSI_Min  = 0

_ONU_RSSI_Max_ = TH1 + …

Class 2: