Re: [802.3_NGEPON] Proposed set of changes to Clause 56

Just chipping in my 2 cents:  I think using the same FEC has a lot going for it.

In particular, the 10G mode might need the extra help because this is going to be a dual-rate receiver.

Dual rate usually hurts the receiver sensitivity of the lower rate, sometimes by a lot.

Another factor, although not part of the .3ca project, is the hope to eventually reach PR40 specs (or at least get closer to them).

If the weaker FEC was more efficient, then one might argue for using it.  But the code rates are not that different, so there is not much payoff.

So, I think what we are all converging to is to use the same PCS for 10G as with 25G.

Sincerely,

Frank E.