[802.3_NGEPON] Comment on Two options of 2 x 25G (liu_3ca_1_0718)

Dekun, all,
The proposal is to eliminate one of the two upstream wavelength options for 2x25G.
If we accept this proposal, then an operator who deploys 25G PON with UW0 (1270 nm) will have no upgrade path to 2x25G. The argument is that UW0 will only be deployed with GPON coexistence and so the upgrade to 2x25G is blocked anyway.  This misses two scenarios:
1. Someday the GPON will be retired. The path to 2x25G is now unblocked and the operator may not be happy if there is no upgrade path to 2x25G.
 2. 25G PON is deployed on a new ODN. The operator can choose UW0 or UW1.  Two possible reasons to choose UW0:
(a) UW0 is lower cost than UW1. Why might this be true?  1300 nm has higher dispersion penalty and smaller US/DS gap.
(b) sources at UW1 1300 nm may not yet exist, while both 10G and 25G lasers already have volumes at UW0 1270 nm.
On the other hand there’s not a lot to be gained by the proposed simplification. Vendors still need to make both 1270 and 1300 nm ONU lasers.  It only saves one 2x25G ONU transceiver flavor.
I recommend that we leave both options in the standard and let the market decide.
Ed

Sent from my phone