From: Glen Kramer <glen.kramer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, January 31, 2019 2:01 PM
To: mxhajduczenia@xxxxxxxxx; STDS-802-3-NGEPON@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: Homework for March 2019 meeting (PICS)

Marek,

In PMD clause, this PICS item needs revision. There are two separate requirements that got mixed into a single PICS item.

The text in141.8.4 says nothing about labeling:

Implementations shall be declared as compliant over one or both complete ranges, or not so declared (compliant over parts of these ranges or another temperature range).

This declaration is always required, so “If required” text is not applicable either.

I would define this item as follows:

ES4 | Operating temperature range | 141.8.4 | The operating temperature range is declared | M |

There is a separate labeling requirement for operation temperature range labeling in 141.8.5, but it is only for the field-pluggable components:

Each field-pluggable component shall be clearly labeled with its operating temperature range over which compliance is ensured.

This should be reflected in a separate PICS line:

ES5 | Operating temperature range label | 141.8.4 | Is provided for field-pluggable components | M |

Thanks,

-Glen